Some Good News

Some days you’re just s’posed to sit back and let life take you for a ride. This was the case last Thursday. I had my 3-month appointment at the Kidney Clinic at Yarmouth Hospital. A day trip like that usually involves a few errands. I also had my girl, Pippa, with me so we were planning on a little walk too. But first, let me tell you about my checkup at the Kidney Clinic.

Let’s recap my initial visit back in November:
Kidney function – 18%
Had lost 25-ish pounds.
Started the renal diet in December.
Drinking 2 – 3 litres of water a day.

I have bloodwork done about a week before each visit. One of the most important numbers they need is my creatinine level. Creatinine is a waste product in the bloodstream from normal wear and tear of the muscles and is affected by age, gender, race and weight. It being a waste product means that it has to be filtered via the kidneys. The creatinine level is used to calculate the GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate) of the kidneys. The higher the creatinine level the lower the kidney function. So now that you know that, let me tell you my news from my last kidney clinic visit.

Down another 4 pounds.
Kidney function – 19%

Yup…kidney function 19%! Up 1% from 18% in November. But before y’all get too excited, I will explain that that does not mean that my kidneys have improved. But with the combination of following the renal diet and losing a few more pounds, it means that my creatinine level fluctuated a bit and my kidney function has not gotten worse. And that is great news! Basically, at this point I am in the business of buying time. Every day without dialysis is a gain.  

And that was my good news. On to the rest of my day.

I hopped in my car and made my way from Yarmouth hospital down the road less than a kilometre to the little sewing shop on Main St. I did a little shopping and picked up a few things. Then hopped back in the car to head somewhere for lunch. Put the key in the ignition and…nothing! Tried again, repeatedly. Same reaction. My car was dead. Ok, let’s call for a battery charge. Battery was fine. Called for a tow to Shelburne. (I’ve deliberately left out the waiting time, messages to/from my hubby and long waits for both service trucks. And a few disgruntled sighs.)


So, my car got pulled up and secured on the flatbed and Pippa and I crawled up in the front seat of the big truck. I had a coffee in hand (from the Irving down the street), had my girl with me and I was in the front seat of a big truck. Seems I was destined for an adventure and fortunately I LOVE big trucks (and I can not lie)! You can see everything from up there! Pippa seemed excited too. Dachshunds, with their short legs, are known for wanting to be high up so they can see everything as well. So we cuddled up and enjoyed the ride.

Once we arrived at our garage destination and the car was taken off the flatbed, my hubby wanted to try and start it. And be damned if the thing didn’t start up right away and I drove it home. Had a little talk with the car on the way home. We’ve treated her pretty good over the years, so she better not let me down now.  We’ll get her fixed next week and all will be back to normal. We love that car!

The important thing is that my kidneys are at 19% function!


6 thoughts on “Some Good News

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: